This is the earliest dated armor from the royal workshops at Greenwich, which were established in 1515 by Henry VIII (reigned 1509–47) to produce armors for himself and his court. It is also the earliest surviving Greenwich garniture, an armor made with a series of exchange and reinforcing pieces by which it could be adapted for use in battle and in different forms of the tournament. Furthermore, the overall etching and gilding place it among the most richly decorated of all Greenwich armors.
This is one of the most elaborate and complete French parade armors, and it retains much of its original coloring. The surfaces are covered by dense foliate scrolls inhabited by human figures and a variety of fabulous creatures that derive from the Italian grotesque.
Deep skull is of 1 piece of steel, drawn up into an engrailled central comb, with a similar, smaller comb nearly centered on either side. The skull has an integral fall which is pointed and upwardly angled. Base of skull is finished in narrow, slightly downturned basal flange that widens slightly as it curves across back of neck. Encircling base of skull above this is row of 7 rivets.